BEEF + SAUERKRAUT PIZZA
In an effort to prove to a certain someone that sauerkraut as a pizza topping is a winning idea, I made a beef and sauerkraut pizza a few days ago. It might not look like much, but it was one of the better pizzas I’ve ever made. Said skeptic was blown away. Mission: accomplished.
What you’ll need:
- Pizza dough
- Tomato sauce
- Ground beef or pork (or brats!)
- Red pepper flakes
- Mozzarella and/or provolone
1. Make/buy pizza dough. Preheat the oven to 450 or higher.
2. Saute half an onion in a little oil until soft. Add about 1/2 lb. ground beef or pork. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and cook until the meat is browned.
3. Oil a baking sheet (I used a 9X13 brownie pan for a slightly thicker crust) and spread the dough to the edges.
4. Spread the sauce over the dough. Top with the beef and big spoonfuls of sauerkraut. Add a little more sauerkraut – you will be happy that you did this. Cover it all with a bunch of cheese.
5. Bake until the cheese is melted and browned to your liking.